Date of Birth: 19th June 1983
Nationality : English
Nicknames: the Jester from Leicester, Mark the Shark
Turned Pro: 1999
Highest World Ranking: 1st (2011/12, 2012/13, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017)
Highest Tournament Break: 147 - 2009 Wuzhou International Group, Jiangsu Classic
147 - 2013 UK Championship
147 - 2017 Hainan International Open
World Champion 2014, 2016 & 2017
Practice: the First Break Snooker Club, Oadby, Leicester
Mark's cue and case are from Paul Roberts of Stamford Cues in Stamford, UK
MORE ABOUT MARK
Mark's favourite colour: blue
Mark's favourite band: Kasabian
Mark's favourite activity: karaoke
Mark's favourite sports: snooker (playing) and football (watching)
Mark's favourite football team: Leicester City
Mark's wish: be healthy and happy, try to win more events
Mark about himself:
- I love snooker for what it is, and not for the money. I enjoy a game and I’m glad when I can give something back to all the fans and supporters.
- I’ve never played snooker for the money - although obviously that’s a great bonus. I play because I love the game, and I want to win titles and get my name on trophies.
- I play to win, and that makes me hard to beat.
- I always believe that I can win, no matter how many frames I am behind. Until that final ball is potted and I have lost, I never, ever believe that I have lost, so I think that is probably the good thing about me.
- I don't want to be one of those players known for picking and choosing what events I go in for. I love playing snooker for a living and I'd prefer to keep it that way.
After his the second UK Championship victory in 2016
Reflecting on his achievements in the sport, Selby said: "All of the records are special really, to win all of the three majors is a great feeling, but to do it twice is even better. Now even if I didn’t win another tournament I would be happy with my achievements so I have to set my goals a little differently and to win the UK again was definitely one of them."
It was said about Mark:
Steve Davis: Mark has a fantastic all-round game and can play any type of snooker.
Neil Robertson: Mark is a fantastic guy, a fantastic ambassador for snooker.
Ronnie O'Sullivan: He is a very consistent player. Mark loves coming from behind; you never feel you're at the winning line. Ninety-nine per cent of players would give up; he's made of metal.
Willie Thorne: Mark is a great player. I think he's done as well as I expected him to, perhaps even better. I've known him since he was 14 and he was never the best player at the snooker club as far as the young players were concerned, but what Mark has is 100 per cent dedication.
Shaun Murphy: He's a deserved world number 1...critical people should be marvelling at his consistency and work ethic. Traits that are sometimes sadly lacking in some sportsmen and women.
Alan Perkins: Mark has many great qualities, the ability to never give in, his belief in himself even when he is behind, coolness under pressure, basically his overall temperament is second to none.
Six-time world champion Steve Davis on BBC Two: "While it's difficult to judge eras, I think Selby is one of the greats already. If he doesn't know how great he is, he should just watch the tape of that match."
(December 2016, theguardian.com)